Saturday, August 4, 2012

Small World!

The world gets a little smaller when you get sick. I have always liked the "little things" in life, but when they are all you have, they're that much more special.

I am not a candidate for bone marrow transplants. I have Multiple Myeloma, and that's not the way my blood cancer is treated. I'll be going through a stem cell transplant sometime in 2013. If that happens, my situation is a little different than someone with leukemia, who needs a bone marrow donor. But it sure was nice today to see people signing up to be potential donors. Leukemia and lymphoma are nasty cancers. Leukemia hurts a lot of kids, while myeloma rarely affects people under 45 years old.

Today, the NY Yankees and DKMS held a blood cancer awareness campaign to get people to sign up to become bone marrow donors. Seeing the word spread on Twitter and other social media, I felt like I was part of a community for the day. It made me smile to see those red Yankee's caps. An actress named Leighton Meester is one of the spokespersons heading up the campaign. Sort of makes me feel as though these people have my back. It's a nice feeling when you see people caring about something you care about. It makes it feel as though the world is a little smaller, closer to you.

I like that.


No comments: