Thursday, August 30, 2012

Prognosis - 62 Months

"Your medical outlook is unclear."

That sort of statement usually takes on a negative connotation. It's as if it's immediately about a time limit, some sort of finite period.

Happily, for me, it also allows for interpretation. I titled this Blog "62 Months" because that's the median life span of someone with my stage of my cancer. And that's the beauty of a median. Basically, it means that half the group lived less time than that, and half lived longer. I'm going to take the latter here.

I like that there is no definitive course this cancer is going to take. I like that there are no defined risk factors that led to this disease. I can eliminate all the second guesses that way. I didn't cause it, it happened, and that's that.

I'd like to set some sort of record, maybe. Be the longest-lived multiple myeloma patient. That would annoy some very select people, and I'd be only too happy to accommodate.

But now it's time to start getting my head around working my way back into the real world. My body is adjusting to all the medicines they're giving me, I'm not as sickly as I was.

And my appetite is just fine. Too fine. See, I'm losing weight. The doctor wants me to eat. And eat. And get the weight on. That doesn't suck.

Bon appetit .

No comments: