Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Another Starting Line

I'm probably the only one in town who was glad to get a cancer diagnosis. For the last 5 months or so, things really started to go wrong with my body. Things were hurting where they once were fine. I was losing weight like crazy, which was really odd, because I'd begun eating as though it were my job. But mostly I was sleeping way too much. And I like to sleep, believe me.

So many times, things go undiagnosed for people. Things go wrong, and no one can tell them why. I've always felt like that was the worst thing. Something hurts, and no one can fix it.

But I got a solid diagnosis. And for me, that's a good thing. I feel like I was getting my ass kicked in an alley, but now someone has taken my blindfold off and I can see who I'm fighting. The odds just got a whole lot better.

On August 9th, 2012, I'm going to get my first round of two drugs, Zometa and Velcade. Friday I should be getting a delivery of another medicine called Revlimid. That one's heavily regulated and controlled. I can only get that one shipped directly from the manufacturer. I've been doing a little reading from the literature the doc gave me on these drugs, and I might be a little sick for now. But what the hell, anything worth having is worth fighting for, right?

Onward and upward. Or some other cliché!

No comments: