Sunday, March 23, 2014

62 Months: Victories and Milestones

Well look at that...I'm improving.
The doctors removed my PICC line. No more home IV. They've also begun weaning me off the drug Medrol. I managed to gain a couple of pounds, too. The weight part astounds me because I eat like three people. I never stop chowing down. I stopped at McDonald's on my way to Burger King one night. And recently I ate five slices of pizza ( real pizza, full-sized slices ) and then had a cannoli.

Another huge milestone was returning to work, which I did one week ago. My company is very good to me. They have me working in an area where I can be productive but not be subjected to any heavy lifting. I have a chair provided for me ( I work for a supermarket chain, so chairs are not typically offered or used ) so when my old butt runs out of energy, I can flop on the seat and recharge. My hemoglobin and red cells are still low, so I get out of breath frequently. But I'm doing it. As a matter of fact, yesterday I ran my department for the first time since I got back.

The after-effects of the chemotherapy have left me with a bunch of neurological problems. I'm being treated now by a very capable, reputable doctor, so I expect some answers and relief soon. I walk like my legs are made of rubber, and I've had a few falls. I make a lot of noise when I fall, so I try not to do that too often. I walked up on an elderly woman who was using a walker. I was using a cane at the moment, and I asked her if she wanted to race.

I feel ok. OK is good.

No comments: