Sunday, May 4, 2014

62 Months: The Journey to Today

My life has always been a big mess. I'm not the guy you want handling your fine China. I became a human wrecking ball at about 18 months old, and it's been just delightful since. Yes, at the ripe old age of 18 months, I stood up in my carriage flipped the whole thing over, and ripped a hole in my lip.

I continued to torture my parents with stunts and things like that. I had a neighbor kid plop my head open with a rock, I swallowed a fishbone and it got lodged in my tonsil. And that was before I was even 10 years old. I gave the folks a few years off from physically injuring myself, but during that time, I tried my hardest to become the official "Class Clown". There were some interesting report cars from school those years.

In January 1974, I resumed my wrecking-ball activities. I chose to run during an ice storm. I took a nice flip off of a NY City curb and shatter my right elbow. That cost me two surgeries and a six week hospital stay. These days, my visit would have been a couple of days, but nope. I created quite the hardship for my parents, who kept me company every day, without fail. They'd rotate Vaisya, because I had four siblings at home, including a two year old brother. They never complained, although they probably wanted to have my brain examined. The elbow surgery was as successful as possible with what doctors had available at the time. A week before release, I added some more fun to the party by developing a staph infection in the surgical site. I met a boy my age who'd tried to castrate himself poking a whole in his belt with a knife. The two of us took to racing wheelchairs during late-night hours. ( I propelled myself with my feet ) The nurses were at first quite annoyed, but I think eventually they took to placing bets on us.

Once I was released, we learned that I'd grown considerably, which meant my parents had to replace my clothes. It was bizarre how much I'd grown in that short time. I'm surprised my folks didn't give me up for adoption. And yet, the fun continued.

And this is to be continued...

No comments: