Monday, October 21, 2013

62 Months: Dogs

A BLT sandwich. That's what I ate tonight for dinner. And that's what brought it home for me. And my dogs. I gave them each a bite.

I don't pretend to be all heroic and smiley and brave 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  But I complain a lot less that I used to. Traffic doesn't seem so awful. And a BLT sandwich sure tastes great. Especially when someone else makes it for you.

My priorities have changed significantly. For me, it's all about living in the now. No time for grudges. Enjoy what and who you have at the time you have them.

My ordeal has been accompanied by some serious eye-openers. I can say that no less than 300 people have stepped into my life to lend a hand, a shoulder, an ear. 300 people. Some from grammar school days, some from the old neighborhood, some from high school.

On the other hand, some 4 or 5 people really shocked me. For all intents and purposes, they've vanished. I never would have seen it coming. But when you have so many people behind you and beside you, you let it go. You enjoy yourself, and like I said, live in the moment.

Kind of like a good dog does. A dog doesn't care that you hollered 5 minutes ago, you're petting him now and that's all that matters. And a dog doesn't care too much about what's going on around him when there's a dish full of food in front of him.

Sometimes I miss the 4 or 5 people, and sometimes I let it get to me. But not for long. And besides, you can't be too grouchy with a BLT in your belly.

No comments: