Saturday, October 5, 2013

62 Months: Getting Personal

The last day or two I've been feeling a little depersonalized and abandoned. I had my scheduled consult at the Cancer Center. When you go to the Lab, you see a lot of familiar faces among the personnel. After this many visits, they too, recognize you and you get more than the polite greeting.

After the lab work, I will then proceed to the second floor offices to see the doctor. Same routine every week.

But each stage of this process has meant a different medical team. My "pre-transplant" team met with me both before the autologous and the allogeneic transplants. They walked me through every step, addressed every concern. Then I had a new case manager and nursing staff when I was admitted for the transplants. And now that I'm past the transplant, I have yet another medical team to deal with.

Maybe I'm just being a baby. Maybe the chemicals are making me softer in the head. But I feel at least there should be a moment for some sort of hand-off. Maybe say goodbye, so long, good luck or something. Perhaps introduce me to someone from the next team. 

And this isn't just some sort of emotional thing. I'm not just being whiny. Each time I meet with a new team, there is a lot of redundancy. I have to go through my whole history, my list of current medications ( and man, there are a LOT ). I have to re-list all my symptoms. Not really a big deal, as I don't really have anything else to be doing. It's just taking that feeling of familiarity out of it.

Ok rant over.

If you have a minute, could you please leave your thoughts in the comment section on this one?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can comment anonymously if you just check that button below.

Anonymous said...

Totally understand where you are coming from, as I had similar experiences when moving from one stage of treatment to the next. You begin to feel like a number in a system which requires you to check off all the boxes... Meds? Check. Symptoms? Check. Treatments? Check.

Stay positive & hopeful Mr Lippy

Lala xxx