Thursday, March 28, 2013

Helping others

During my little war with cancer, I've experienced a lot of kindness, from friends, family and complete strangers. I couldn't have come this far without it.

I thought it time to pay it forward.

A good friend has a story I'll share below:

"I would like to nominate my sons, Michael and Joseph Pizzurro who are 29 and 26 years old. Mike and Joe were diagnosed with a debilitating nerve disease called giant axonal neuropathy. They reached their normal milestones as toddlers but were diagnosed with GAN when they were 8 and 5 years old. Mike and Joe exemplify what a true hero really means. They both have been through many hospitalizations and GAN has taken much function away from them. They are both mentally intact. They both are on full-time ventilators which help them breathe, eat via a g-tube for nourishment and can now only move their heads. They can no longer drive their wheelchairs. My husband and I, as well as several caregivers assist Mike and Joe with all of their activities of daily living. These young men are very brave. Even though they wish they could be “normal” they are very happy to be alive and part of the family. Mike and Joe can use a new van. The van would be used for their medical appointments and also their recreational activities. Mike and Joe have inspired their sisters to become nurses. These two young men face challenges every day and have inspired many people in their community. They always want to help others and make others happy. I am very proud of these two young men and they are my true heroes."

Please click the link below and vote every day?

Vote for Mike & Joe Pizzurro - Tampa, FL in the 2013 National Mobility Awareness Month Local Hero contest!

No comments: