Thursday, March 21, 2013

Well Ain't That Boring

Somehow I felt this transplant process was going to require some heroic effort on my part. I've really not had a lot of horrible stuff to deal with.

I checked into the hospital on Day -1 and had a class to sit through. That afternoon they placed a PICC line and that was it. On Day 0 I was given a dose of Melphalan. That chemo wiped out as much cancer as possible, but took the bone marrow with it.

They then infused me with my own stem cells to start building new blood and bone marrow. And that was it! I've been coming to the Cancer Center each day. I spend about 8 hours a day getting IV medicines and fluids to keep me on the mend. But that's it. That's all I do.

I'm not suffering too much, if at all. It's like experiencing a bad flu. I'm fatigued, but I sleep well. My taste buds are shot, so my appetite is a little weak. That won't be a lasting problem. I like food too much.

I'm 6'4" and 218 pounds. Height won't change, weight will. Trust me. I have an appointment with a large pizza when I get home to my kids.

Onward and upward.

2 comments:

jeanne said...

You are doing Amazing, I draw strength from you daily. Here's to an extra large pizza with a side of two dozen white castle burgers. Almost home, love you!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you've had a very good and easy reaction to yr stem cell transplant so far .. which is great !! Its a process wich varies greatly time by time and person by person (My wife has had 2 so far) Takes a while to build up the energy reserves again - but its well worth it ! Good luck to you ! Barry UK