Wednesday, March 13, 2013

8 Months

8 months later, I'm here in Hackensack University Hospital awaiting my stem cell transplant. It was Friday, July 13th when I was diagnosed, which was a beautiful thing.

My appetite is ridiculous; I eat like a 17 year old. Anything I want, and I lose weight. LOSE weight. Well that fun will end when this stupid cancer gets its ass out of here, but I'm gonna enjoy it while it lasts.

Peripheral neuropathy... A few diabetics I know battle with this little treat. I got it when I came off the first phase of chemo. It hit me from the knees down, and the best I can describe it is like bee stings, lots and lots of 'em. But the docs have answers for everything. It's well under control thank God.

I had to give in and take some pain medicine the last couple of weeks. While it sucked, the bone pain is temporary. I had large doses of Neupogen to stimulate stem cells. That worked. Now the pain's laying back, not quite gone, but wearing away.

Multiple Myeloma is a scary disease, but it's nothing to be scared of. It is a disease that can be whupped. As of now, sure, there is no cure. But the way things go nowadays, there's a cure just waiting in the next doorway, right? I always think about that 62 months life expectancy. Bullshit. That's a challenge, not a sentence. I'll be boring you for a lot longer than that.

I'll check in later.

No comments: