Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Life Goes On and On ... 62 Months

Who'd ever think that a return to ordinary life routines could be so exciting. Well, I'm excited today.

I'm back on the job as of 9:30 this morning, and I couldn't be happier. (Ok well maybe a winning lottery ticket would help boost that a little...) I think the most important thing to do when slugging it out with cancer is to maintain some sense of normalcy. No one wants to feel "different" for the wrong reasons.

It just makes life so much better when we can do the things we're used to doing, to feel that comfort of the familiar. Daily routines and regimens help keep us sane. I think for my kids' sake, the best thing that could happen is to remove the stigmas and alarm and discomforts of this disease. Show them that no foe is invincible.

"Life goes on" is a great mantra in these circumstances. The best way to beat cancer is to not let it win in the first place. Sure, it has undeniable physical effects that can't and won't be ignored. This isn't about a fairy tale. It's a real problem that doesn't simply get willed away. But victories have to be complete in order to count. If cancer beats the body down, it's the spirit that helps fight back. Cancer never really wins if it doesn't take your heart and soul.

Cancer has given me the opportunity to experience just how wonderful people can be. If you're ever wondering whether your words matter, try saying them to someone who's struggling. I can tell you first-hand that words matter. I'd get a message, and email, a Tweet, a Facebook post, and in the blink of an eye, the day would get better.

Love someone today. And let them know that you do. People living regular, everyday lives are always in need of a little of that. Remind yourself that it's more important to take the chance and put some kindness out there than it is to sit quietly. You matter a lot. Support is everything.

I'm smiling today because I'm ordinary. And I'll take that..

No comments: