Friday, September 7, 2012

62 Months - Good News

I met with my Oncologist today and it was all good news. Things are moving along as hoped, and we're aiming at the end of this year to get the remission/stem cell transplant things moving along. My doctor is confident that while there is currently no cure for Multiple Myeloma, there is certainly a way to live with it. And live with it I will.

I know some people might wonder why I'd take this personal situation public. I'll tell you why I am doing just that. First and foremost, I've given myself a chance to see just how supportive and encouraging and loving people can be. Even relative strangers have reached out and touched my heart.

But more importantly, I'm doing it because I am a very ordinary guy. There is nothing heroic, superhuman or even extraordinary about me. I'm as plain as they come. This cancer is evil, but a lot of people haven't heard of it. It generally strikes older people (45 and older). And when you get a diagnosis like this one, there isn't a whole lot of information out there that isn't scary.

But cancer can be treated like the bully it is. It comes at you, you go back at it. It gets aggressive? Well you just get more aggressive. There are some very capable doctors out there. There is a great research foundation out there, http://www.themmrf.org/ that you can check out.

I know someone will be diagnosed with this again soon. If they are, send 'em to me. I'm no braver than anyone else. I just trust in my doctors, follow the instructions, and I'm getting better. I looked at cancer and said, "F*ck you!"

Remember, any cure will start with one patient. Why not me? Or why not them?

Time to #deletebloodcancer