Thursday, May 23, 2013

62 Months: Titanic

There's so many times I just think to myself, "keep fighting, keep going and it all pays off in the end." But I always remember a sales meeting where the leader said,  "Yeah it pays to work hard, but always remember there was probably a guy manning the pumps right up until the moment Titanic sank."

I've found that there are so many people fighting Multiple Myeloma out there. I've been inspired by some, educated by some and encouraged by all of them. I hear stories every day of people who are living a long time with the disease. And it makes me brave.

But one thing I like about the Oncologist who is treating me is that he makes sure I understand all the aspects of Myeloma. He's told me that this particular disease frustrates medicine as a whole, and Oncologists in particular. He said the disease affects every patient differently. He also makes sure that I'm going forward with this little fight with my eyes completely opened.

Well, my understanding of the illness is still pretty limited. That's not the fault of any of the doctors I've been involved with. They try. What I've managed to grasp, however, is basic enough. My case has been described as "high risk" multiple myeloma. I just take that to mean, okay, I'm not going to live to be 100 years old. But it also doesn't mean I'm dying next week.

I have to get another stem cell transplant procedure. It's called an allogeneic transplant ( if you'd like to read about it, here's the place.) It's another weapon I can use. It's another, better chance to get better. I'm going to forget about the pump guy on the Titanic for now.

I don't care much for boats anyway.

No comments: