Wednesday, May 29, 2013

62 Months: Kindness

I know when I was diagnosed, I was actually so relieved to have an actual answer as to what was going on with my body, that I came home and slept like a baby that night. I knew then that a lot of my problems could and would be fixed. My body had been hurting, but I just played it off as part of growing older.

I've never really been freaked out about the cancer. I had been lucky enough to find a great primary physician who had taken the interest to find out what was wrong, and then she was able to refer me to a terrific oncologist who specializes in Multiple Myeloma. So I felt right away that I was in good hands.

While the cancer was indeed scary, I was still more concerned with my life situation. I won't lie, being out of work for so long left me practically destitute, and the thought of medical bills being added to the fray really messed with my mind. In all my years, no matter what went on in my life, I'd always been able to sleep at night. The finances did a good job of messing that up.

It's been almost a year since I was diagnosed. I'm still alive and fairly well, in part because of the great care I'm receiving from the doctors and hospital. But what's really helped me sleep at night recently has been the tremendous amount of love and support I've received, in some cases, from people who are essentially strangers, if you look at it that way.

My girl will have her dress. As a Dad, that melts my heart, and it's even better because of how it happened. I don't know what I did to deserve such kindness, but I'm forever grateful. And my Facebook family and friends took up an online fundraising campaign to help as well. The insurance only covers so much, and when a single medical bill is pretty much equivalent to one week's pay, things mount up. People sometimes feel that what they do is no big thing, but let me tell you, kindness matters. It really matters.

People have told me, time and again, that it's only fair that I be the recipient of kindness now. That it's my turn now. I'd like to think that I was generous when I could be, back in the Wall Street days. I hope that it's true because it helps me accept the kindness of others now.

It's going to stay in my mind forever.

Cancer put itself in the way of my new career, for sure. I was on track, and in training, for my next promotion at work. I lost 4 months overall, to date. But I'll get past this obstacle and get back in line for that rung in the ladder. And as I get back on my feet, I'm going to make sure that a piece of every week's pay goes to help someone in need. Until 2010, I'd never known what it was like to be someone in need, I'd always been the helper.

Now my eyes are wide open. Thank you to anyone who has offered any kindness, be it a donation, a prayer or a kind word.

It matters.

3 comments:

Tiffany Joiner said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tiffany Joiner said...

Hi there...really random, but I was just going through one of my old blogs' comments and came across one from you and for some reason thought to check you out. So sorry to hear what you're going through. I'll be keeping up. Tiffany

Nishi's musings said...


Dear Lippy,

It is great to connect with you.

I went through your journey via your blog as a myeloma patient. I write for CureTalk, a blog of TrialX.com, an online platform to connect patients to clinical trials of new treatments.

I would like to do an email interview with you for our CureTalk patient platform. Via the interview we hope to reach out and inspire many more people with myeloma via your journey. We hope that with similar patient stories readers will feel enthused to fight better for a more wholesome life.

The link for the online platform: http://trialx.com/curetalk/

Do share your thoughts on this.

Thank you for your time and attention,
Nishi Roy, writer@CureTalk
http://trialx.com/curetalk/author/nishiroy/