Tuesday, December 11, 2012

An Update

There is a lot of technical stuff going on, things that I don't quite understand myself. That's why doctors go to medical school and learn about all this. I don't have to know what every detail means, I just leave it to the docs to fix it.
I met with the transplant team in Hackensack University. During this meeting, I learned that I have something called "chromosome 17 deletion." I don't know the physiology of this detail, I just know that it's going to complicate things a whole lot. Now, instead of just having a transplant of my own stem cells (not bone marrow), I will have my own stem cells transplanted (autologus transplant) and that will be followed by a stem cell transplant from a donor. This will most likely be one of my siblings.
There will be a lot of chemotherapy. There will be a long, long period of recovery (6 to 9 months). There are no guarantees of outcome, unfortunately. What we're striving to avoid is something called "refractory myeloma", which basically means that if there is a relapse, the cancer comes back in a form that is more difficult to treat each time it does relapse.
Sounds gloomy, right? The way I see it, this is just a different scenario. I have to fight the same fight, with a few extra tricks to pull out of the hat. It's not going to be easy at all, but who ever really plans on "easy"? I have the challenges in front of me, and I know what I have to do. 2013 sure will be an eventful, busy year.
There is already a drug in trial that's intended to combat the refractory myeloma, should the need arise. If I do come up against that, the timeline will be just right. The drug should be fully approved and ready to go. The research has produced more in the last five years than it had it the previous twenty-five. So every year forward will bring us closer to a cure, and in the meantime produce a lot of results to keep us all going.
I'm ready for this. I'll finish the current round of chemo by the end of December. I'll then be evaluated, and if it's all good, we'll start the next course of treatment. That's one solid month of intensive chemotherapy to prep my body for the final round of chemo, which is short-term, powerful stuff.
I'll have a nice, shiny head for the nice, shiny new year. And by year's end, I'll have a nice shiny immune system, along with a very welcome remission. We'll worry about nothing. Worrying is useless, and I've learned that lesson very well.
There are a lot of lunch dates, dinner dates, etc, on hold, and I fully intend to eat each and every one of them with you. I have places I'm going to visit, so keep the bed made and ready. My kids and I love Woodloch Pines, so that's in the cards too. And I think I might even grow a mullet.
I have the best medical team I could hope for. An oncologist without peer, a nursing staff that's the most incredible group of professionals I've ever met. And while I'm free to eat and drink anything I want, I also have the guidance of a doctor who specializes in nutrition. They all do their jobs flawlessly, but with a ton of patience, compassion and concern.
But they say that attitude is 90% of the game. And that's where you all come in. My family has been a rock. My friends, you have all carried me when things got rough. Those little comments that you post mean a whole lot. Don't ever think otherwise. I can't, and don't want to, do this without you.
I'm happy, and at the moment, feeling quite well. My numbers are all good. My appetite is ok, and they have medicines that help with the digestive issues. I'm working and happy to be there. Really. It beats the hell out of staying home all the time. I don't need anything other than my family and friends.
I'm going to post a lot more stuff, so be patient. I want to have a record of the day to day, minute to minute things that will be going on. I want to show people that cancer doesn't have to win. I want to show people that life can and does go on. Every time cancer hits me, I'm going to hit back.
Thank you all so much for the support you've been giving me. It means the world to me. Love to you all.

No comments: