Monday, February 29, 2016

Doing the Crawl

I wish I could start this post with a happy tone. But...life goes on, and it's been difficult. I've learned to enjoy the happy moments with extra vigor because they've been so few and far between.

My son is still having difficulty recovering from his shotgun wounds. Our last hope is to get him what they call a "nerve block", which is an epidural, I believe. I'm keeping my fingers crossed because they're aren't too many options left. For some reason, the doctors have all elected to leave two of the hunks of shrapnel in there. We were to five doctors, including a general surgeon, and none of them would even consider the removal.

Another lovely surprise related to his shooting is that he's in school in Florida, where it happened. My ignorance was brought to light when we discovered that my health insurance, doesn't cover the injuries. So here come the bills for that. It did cover a small amount of the emergency room charges, but that was a drop in the bucket.

While we struggle to cover the flood of medical bills, for my oldest daughter, my son, and my own bills, I'm definitely crawling. The utilities bills don't go away, the cell phone, cable tv all became too expensive luxuries.My kids sacrifice so much and don't complain. The three of them are in school, hopefully learning how to build successful careers so they don't ever have to do the crawl. My income has become so minimal because my cancer cleaned us out, and now I'm disabled and on Social Security. Anyone who receives that kind of money knows how hard "fixed income" living is.

I've gotten some help from some kind friends who've donated to my fundraiser. It's like Christmas morning when I get notification of a donation received. It makes the load just a little lighter. I can crawl a little further. Payment arrangements with these companies is really only a temporary fix, it just means you'll have a balance that will take longer to pay off. It'd be awesome if the balance were eliminated altogether.

I'm gonna keep crawling until I learn to walk again. I'm hesitant to post these sort of pity parties, but I want to have something to look back on when I've made life good again.

I leave a link to my fundraiser on the sidebar, just in case someone wants to help out. I look forward to the day I remove that.

Like I said, you have to crawl before you walk. I'll get there.

No comments: